Hard Things

I can hear Sänna practicing her saxophone as I write. Outside is the sound of icy rain is falling upon the road, the roofs, and other unfortunate objects and creatures that are unguarded from it's splatter. Though I'm sitting by the fireplace, the tip of my nose is cold.

That is my life right now.

On the way to church yesterday morning, I had a few moments to contemplate and identify the thoughts going through my head. Thoughts such as obedience, sacrifice, the love of God and where it all intersects.

I grabbed my phone and wrote up a new note. I had been thinking about what it means to sacrifice for God. Abraham was a man called upon to sacrifice what he loved the most: his son. He climbed the mountain, he bound his son to the stone, he lifted the knife to kill him.

"Abraham, Abraham!" the angel called out his name. "Here I am," he said, no doubt with the knife still held above his son with trembling. “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” He had passed the test, it was seen that he indeed feared the Lord.

As soon as the angel assured him of this, a ram appeared and took the place of Isaac. Imagine the trip back down mount Moriah! You can easily picture the relief upon Abraham's wrinkled face, the delight with which he embraces his son. I'm not sure what Isaac was thinking, it could have been pure joy or pure horror at the thought of what had just almost happened. We do not know, but Isaac continued on to fear the Lord and preserve the lineage of God's chosen people.

Taking this story as an example, we can see that Abraham was not called upon to sacrifice Isaac as much as he was called upon to be obedient to God.

And all of this he did with the knowledge of God's sure promise to him, that he would be the father of many nations. It didn't make logical sense: how can one have offspring when you are required to kill your only son upon an alter to the God who promised those future offspring to you? Yet Abraham was a man of faith, and things didn't need to make logical sense to him. Faith isn't really faith unless there's an element of the unknown, the incomprehensible, and the illogical in it.

I believe that every sincere Christian at some point in their life will face a similar situation: do I obey in the face of something that looks ridiculous or do I back down and stay "safe"? Abraham could have chosen to protect his only, beloved son - but in doing so, he would have lost him. Our own lives are lost when we try to save them. It's only in the act of losing that we save. Paradox? Perhaps.

Sacrifice is a topic which must be dealt with carefully, lest anyone think that they are made more sanctified and more perfect because of "sacrificing for God". Sacrifice is not what pleases God, faith is (Hebrews 11:6). Otherwise, we would all need to sell our homes, give up our favorite foods, clothes, and anything else that brings us pleasure, shave our heads and walk around wearing sackcloth. And at what point have you given enough? Must you sacrifice your life?

Well, yes. As Christians, we are called to lay down our lives, each day. We lay down our self-centered desires and our sins and our temptations. Following Christ doesn't offer glamor, fame, and riches, but "a chance to die" as Amy Carmichael said so many years ago.

However, if sacrifice of everything is what is required, then it is impossible. Going back to Abraham we see that it was his obedience that was required, not sacrifice. We see that to be pleasing to God it's not the the giving up of earthly joys and comforts as much as it is having the heart which says, "What You say, I will do". This is not to say that we will not be called upon to sacrifice of something which we love most dearly. And if it is sin, then sacrifice it must be. But before saying to yourself, "It is impossible for me to be a good Christian, I cannot sacrifice that much!" you must be instead looking into your heart and cultivating a heart that is willing to give up those things.

This isn't an excuse that allows you to not sacrifice. It's encouragement that says you must have a heart of obedience. Then, whatever the cost or trial, God and His grace will meet you there.

Sänna is no longer practicing her sax, and my nose is finally warm. The rain continues in it's endless falling and my life goes on. What lies ahead, I know not. Yet I know that the words of my Friend shall be with me continually as I go through each day, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit," and "peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."

Comments

Popular Posts