Why are bad boys bad?

His dark brown eyes flashed defiance with a mischievous grin--he squirmed and squiggled to get out of my hold and Lord knows I was out of my mind and did not know what to do. In broken Spanish, all the Spanish that my tired mind could muster up, I asked the desperate question,

"Why are you bad?" 

"Porque, porque? I implored, "porque tú estás malo?" 

He didn't seem to be dug as deeply by my words as I was. He couldn't seem to feel my pain as I heartbrokenly disciplined him as best as I could, yet he still got away with it. Perhaps it's because the pain he causes to me is a reflection of the pain he has received, or continues to receive each day.

I know not why.

Zacarias on the other hand, I do know why he's the trouble maker that he is. It wasn't till 9:3ish that I figured it out, that I noticed the common theme of the past three days. The theme of him not bringing food. When all the other kids are eating their various fried plantains and mashed yuca, he sips water and stares ravenously at the fried egg that is being consumed in front of him. Occasionally he jumps at the bits of plantain that are waving around on a fork nearby. He scrambles to pick up a dropped piece of food off the floor.

How then is one able to teach a child when this child is hungry? If the basic needs are not being met, how can we expect education to be valued? These questions drive me to prayer and roll around in my head as I once again command the room to be silent. Zacarias acts out again but this time I just gently settle him in his chair and try to focus on other misbehaving kids: he was simply trying to grab a bit of sandwich from Michelle.

Comments

  1. Gclub 69 The rumors of online gamers

    บาคาร่า It's a site where you can have fun with the rummy-500 and other online gambling games without any limitation because our website is certified to operate precisely in accordance with national regulations. Cambodia And with flying hours in service for over 10 years.
    For playing cards. Rummy-500 is one of the most admired card games. Rummy 500 is one of Rummy's regimes. It was designed for two players and played to a player of 500. Rummy score was formed at the beginning of the 20th century with the popularity of this card game. So we have made a game of internet gambling for the enjoyment of all, and in addition to the rummy-500, we also have the maximum of luck games we have searched for over 500 well. The program
    Do not wait to open up a new dimension of gaming, gambling, internet network with your own. We are very well served to everyone, not just 24 hours a day. Gclub มือถือ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts