Living Under the Influence

Recently, I've been very blessed by the guidance and counsel of those that are older and wiser than me. It hasn't been anything huge, just conversations here and there that I walk away from thinking,
"Wow, I'd never thought of that," or "that's definitely something I want to do/not do".

It is very important in the Christian life to have examples/role models to look to as we walk together on this path to God's Kingdom. If we only surround ourselves with opinions in accordance to ours, experiences similar to ours, and passions as limited as ours, we'll find ourselves growing--in. And in-growing isn't good. It doesn't even sound pleasant, so why should we try to emulate it?

We are to grow out, pushing our roots to foreign soil with different water sources and a variance of minerals. An environment that fosters similar thinking on everything and similar experiences will not grow. Note, it's important to "be of the same mind" as Paul says in Philippians, "being of one accord and the same mind." That's true for when it comes to being in agreement on the fundamental aspects of Christianity, but what I'm talking about is being varied in our approaches to problems and solutions, so that we can build one another up in Christ.

Keeping our hearts afresh with the examples of those that have lived life before us and those that are learning and living life with us is crucial to a healthy Christian life. Paul exhorts the Philippians to "join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us." (3:17) and Peter's goal in 2nd Peter 1:12-13 is "always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder..."

It's obvious that learning from examples is what Paul and Peter are after here. Ultimately, Christ is to be our One Guide and True Example, but each person has been gifted differently, each one has a different trial and a different miracle. When we study their examples, the way that they apply Biblical truths and see from their experience how we are to also glorify God, we are broadening our view and seeing others as more important than ourselves.

If my experiences were the only ones I ever paid attention to, I would be a very sad and sorry person indeed. However, when I read Christian biographies, talk with "the Wise", and seek counsel and advice from those around me, I acknowledge that I need and want to learn, and hopefully avoid mistakes or become aware of something that I might not have ever thought about for a good many years.

All of this is to say that I really recommend that you take a look at your life and see if you are receiving wisdom and instruction from examples around you. Whether it's a dead missionary who's words live on in a book that you're reading, or an older friend that knows a thing or two about your situation, keep at it, "since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses." (Hebrews 12:1)

What influence do you live under?

(Oh, and I should note that you probably are being influenced by those around you, it's impossible to not be influenced. But what's important is discerning whether or not these influences are beneficial and glorifying to Christ. When we are supported by Godly examples we can more effectively minister to the bad influences around us until we become the influence--an influence pointing to Christ as the Founder and Perfecter of our faith. )

Comments

Popular Posts