What's Next?

      I think a common problem that "short-termers" face when they come back from a missions trip, is that, after talking about all the exciting things that happened, telling the stories over and over again, and ooh-ing and ah-ing over photos, they a hit an imposing wall: What's next?

     Some slip back right into how life was before they left and wonder, "Is this okay? Am I living out the changes I thought I'd undergone? How come I can't continue to live in that wonderment that I experienced?" I like to picture two circles. One circle is labeled "missions trip" and the other is labeled "real life". The process of reflection and transformation is what connects those two circles till they become one. If this doesn't occur, then you'll find, a few weeks down the road, you're living the same way you always had. Surely true transformation doesn't result in that? So maybe you didn't experience transformation at all? I don't think that's always the case. Yes, sometimes it may very well be, but I think a lot of the time we remain unchanged because we don't steward the experiences and lessons that we learned and allow them to change us.

      Reflecting, talking with others about what happened/changed, writing, and daily reminding yourself of the things that occurred are all ways to keep the truths and lessons in mind. This isn't only true of missions trips. Any experience that prods creativity, new ideas, and knowledge is candidate for reflection.  Whether it's an inspirational conversation with a friend or mentor, a visit to your family in Minnesota (random state of the day), or a quick but odd trip to the grocery store in which you encountered a situation of child abuse or a random act of kindness--all of these can be opportunities to educate yourself and live differently. Reflection becomes the bridge that connects our "real life" circle with an influential circle of some other experience.

     It's been a little more than a week since I've been home, and a lot of reflection has occurred, but I've also gotten back into the swing of things that have always gone on: school, friends, and all that hubbub that fills our lives and is made meaningful by grace.

      When I face the question of "what next?" or "what now?" I'm very thankful that I don't have to draw a blank. Because of reflection and transformation, I'm able to see the differences that have occurred and the changes that have happened and apply them to my life. I don't know a lot of details about the future, because I think that if I did, I would probably say, "No way God, that's too much, I can't handle that, I'm not the one to do that.." but God empowers the weakest of us, and so I'll take each step in faith that He's drawing me closer and closer with cords of love.


I think of the song, "His Forever"

"Jesus, friend of sinners
Loved me ’ere I knew Him
Drew me with His cords of love
Tightly bound me to Him
’Round my heart still closely twined
The ties that none can sever
For I am His and He is mine
Forever and forever

Jesus, friend of sinners
A crown of thorns You wore for me
Bruised for my transgressions
Pierced for my iniquities
The wrath of God that I deserved
Was poured out on the Innocent
He took my place, my soul to save
Now I am His forever

Jesus, friend of sinners
I love to tell the story
Redeeming love has been my theme
And will be when in glory
Not death nor life nor anything
Can ever separate me
O love that will not let me go
Yes, I am His forever"
      One thing I know for sure I have learned from our trip: God loves us and for some reason He's placed His favor on us (not by any of our doing did we gain this favor) and desires to satisfy us by glorifying Himself through us and in us. This can be lived out everyday, no matter where you are. Letting God's love saturate your attitudes, your choices, and your beliefs, and allowing that to guide and direct you in all that you do. That is when we connect the two spheres and they become one. Realizing that every incident in our lives comes directly from God through Christ and is for our good, ah, this truth can be so transformational in every moment if we let it seep into our souls!

     Be guided by God...learn truth from your life and allow God to use every experience to draw you closer to Him. For we are His forever, let us live for Him.

Comments

Popular Posts