Better is a little with love

I think there can be a tendency at times, in my heart and perhaps yours as well, to be discontent. It doesn't matter how often we recognize that we've got so much more than a large percentage of the world, because that's not what it's about. We think it's about what we have, but it's not.

Because of the pervasiveness of materialism in our culture, it's hard to evade its influence. When we're down and out it can be easy to think, "Ah, if only I had this or that."

There are other times when it's not about a physical thing, but rather an opportunity. "If I could just go to the college I want to go to, it would be such an opportunity." Lack of money can seem to hinder so many things, even good things, like missions trips, Bible translations, and outreaches. Surely it's not wrong to be discontent with a lack of funds when it's keeping you from something good? But here lies the problem: we aren't the ones to define what is good.
Psalm 104:27-28 says, "These all look to you, to give them their food in due season. When you give it to them, they gather it up, when you open your hand, they are filled with good things." 
Two things to note here.

1. God gives their food to them in due season. Meaning that, in His time, when He knows it's best, He'll give it. You can pout and mourn all you want, but the timing that He has chosen for a good thing isn't always the same as your timing.

2. When He opens His hands, we are filled with good things. His hands are always open and always giving us good things. So if we're not seeing something as good, then it's because our perspective isn't as broad as God's. He sees what we cannot and knows what we cannot fathom. He constructs every atom to twirl and every dancer to spin, He makes every lover's heart soar and every baby's heart beat. He also changes hearts and stops hearts, He is the maker of it all.

When I am discontent because I want something more, I'm reminded that:
"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a fattened ox and hatred with it."               (Proverbs 15:17)
Thinking about this reminds me that, in the times when I am most filled with happiness, it's never been because of the stuff or opportunities...it's been because of the love.

I've sat down to shabby meals and been nourished because there's love and one of my best birthdays was when I got hardly any gifts and spent it with Holly.

Why was that special? Because there was love. I can deceive myself into thinking that stuff will make me happy, but it won't.

I tell you, if you want to be my friend, I don't want anything more than the love that comes from a pure heart in Christ-like fellowship.
"The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith." 1 Timothy 1:5
"Having purified your hearts by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again." 1 Peter 1:22-23

Besides, being creative and innovative with what we can do, whether it's preparing a meal out of seemingly incongruent ingredients or celebrating a birthday without stuff, is way more fun (and in my opinion, much more meaningful) than having the fattened ox and hatred with it.

When I am discontent, I hope I am reminded about this truth. If I ever do have much money, I hope I hold it loosely. Don't get me wrong, money isn't bad, having the fattened ox is a thing to celebrate and rejoice in, but the love of money is "the root of all evil." Also realize that "love of money" doesn't just come through being rich, you can be poor and be just as mercenary. So it is a warning for us all: better is a little with love, than a lot and hatred with it.

Comments

Popular Posts