Pretending to be a Poet

Thank You, Father, for having mercy on me,
a soul.
Unworthy of any degree of clemency 
and full
of sin and self-love which renders me
despicable 
before the mercy seat.
Trivial?
Are my sins so minute as to cause
an overlooking, a pardon?
Nay, for my hands are wrapped in gauze,
from the atrocities I have done.
So what is this mercy
that overwhelms my sordid heart?
Wider than a sea
more beautiful than art.
Mercy is ignited in Your words like a flaming coal
which say that Your calling and gifts
are irrevocable.
Your words which say that we were consigned
To disobedience for all of time
"that He may have mercy on all".
Oh
the depths and riches
wisdom and knowledge
of God!
My heart fixes
its gaze upon His face
and discovers His judgments
inscrutable and unsearchable
He tore down the fence
that made Him unapproachable
and this mercy, 
mercy
pure and sweet,
is never ending
as I bow down at the mercy seat. 


Comments

Popular Posts