Journal Excerpts Timeline

Sometimes I get mighty depressed when I look back at something that we did and realize it was exactly a year ago and not much has changed. But it doesn't last that long, since those of young age can never be saddened for a large duration of time. There's too much being offered to us in life. However, that goes for everyone, young and old. So, there are those times, but there's also those times where I look back from just one week and go, "....wow." Was that the same me, just last week? So much has happened. Last month, two months ago, none of this would have really been expected. What I love about journaling is that it captures my present thoughts, doubts, excitements, and feelings and I can go back and look at them and see how things progress....or regress, but I'm here to tell you about the progress. 

April 27th, 2012  7:28am
"So, last night, after dinner, after dark, pretty much after everything we (Dad, Mom, Mattea, and I), were talking about college. I've been doing research on Jonathan Edwards for the Great Awakening. I had read how he went to Yale University at the age of 13ish-14ish and graduated at 17. I know that a lot of kids did that back then and it's not like they were smarter than us - why can't we do that? Well, I've never been really keen about thinking about college. And suddenly, as we talked last night, I got an idea - and I was excited. Insert a conversation in which I ask about what doing dual enrollment would look like during my 11th and 12th grades and it being pretty much brought to an end by the statement that we don't have the money. I didn't continue the conversation, but inside of me, I knew what I wanted to do. And as I laid in bed last night, I thought about it...sure it's all just a 14 year old's daydreams...but I think they're possible."


I didn't mention it again for a while, then, in the back of the car on the way home one day (May 31st to be exact) it was brought up that a friend is doing some program called CollegePlus. At the moment, I had no idea how much that name would be used in my life, and I still really don't, but back to the story. Interest peaked...you mean, that you can do college, like real college at the same time as high school? Eventually, I learned all about what it's like and how it works. But again, back to the story. (I have a tendency to trail, don't I?) Hahaha, so, I took hold of the moment and became bold and asked the question..."um, could I do that???" That evening I was all over the computer and read all about CollegePlus while listening to Relient K's College Kids song. 


June 13th, 2012 8:00pm
"Today, I submitted my first college application. I pray that I'll be able to be a high school dropout (has anyone ever prayed that before?) and go to college...but the *compulsory HS age is 17-I'm sure-well, hopeful, that there is a way around that though. Meanwhile though, I'll be waiting to hear back from CollegePlus. And as Mom said, "I'll apply for college with faith." Faith. How could I have forgotten-God is in control, doesn't that sound great!?!?!" 


By the way, I'm not going to be a high school dropout, I won't go into the details, since that'd be boring, but just take my word for it. :)

July 10th, 2012 8:07pm
(I've just gone through an explanation about having a phone consultation with an advisor and its success)
"...I can't believe it! I'm starting college for a bachelors degree in September! I absolutely can't wait, and I'm in desperate need of a friend so that I can jump on them and say, "I'm starting college! College!!!!!!" 

So, yeah. Still hasn't sunk in yet and as I sat at the table eating dinner today Mom said that she's very excited about CollegePlus. I about choke on my pasta to keep the excitement in tap, but I think the enthusiasm showed up in my calm, measured words of, "yeah, me too, I'm super excited." And for those of you that don't know, I hardly ever use the word "super". 


*minimum age at which you may stop high school

Comments

  1. Boy you've got to have the jitters! So your going in as a freshman? That is really great! I am going the fall as well, for dule enrollement...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! I do have the jitters, every now and then I just get this crazy feeling of excitement and it's simply uncontrollable! That's great that you're starting that this year! Where will you be doing it? I don't think I'll actually be entering as a freshman, for one year I'll CLEP college credit and enter into an online college as a junior or sophomore. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts