Life Could Use Less Sugar

The swaying hammock and sunshiny sun made reviewing my astronomy for college an enjoyment. All of the sudden, (though not as sudden as yesterday when Mom snuck underneath the hammock and startled me), Misha popped up next to the edge of the hammock with a wooden spoon in her hand. At the end of the spoon shone the peanut-buttery goodness of peanut butter no-bake cookie in it's best form: fresh from the pot and still slightly warm.

"Want some?" Misha asked. Accepting the spoon and eagerly putting it to my mouth I replied between bites of delicious. 
"Is that a question??" 
"I don't know," indecisive Misha answers.
With a few finishing licks I polish the spoon as much as a wooden spoon can be polished and with a "thank you" handed it back to Misha who, before popping back out of the scene asked:
"Did it taste sweet?"
Me: "Uh, yeah, I thought it was delicious."

I didn't understand how a peanut butter no-bake could not be sweet since anyone that has ever tasted those sugar packed cookies knows that they are absolutely sweet. But, reviewing my recent taste experience I wondered...was that as sweet as it normally is? Hmm, it was definitely creamy and peanut buttery...one of the best samples of no-bakes that I've ever had. My thoughts drifted back to the meridian and how to tell the time with the shadows, and I soon forgot the whole thing all together. 

 After dinner Mom brought out Misha's cookies.
"These are experimental cookies..3/4 less sugar." Oh, that's why Misha asked! Mmm, yes, now that I think about it....they were definitely less sugary but they were also AMAZING!

And then I thought again: How many things in life are overly-sweet without knowing that it'd be just as good, if not better without it?

We are so often sucked up into the demands of life...things can claim our attention that are by the world's standards the only things that can make you happy, things that make life sweet. When really, I believe that if we let go a little more we'd get to experience the true taste of life. The marvelous taste of peanut butter without mask of sugar. The joy of a quiet evening out on the deck, reading a book, without the mask of those "sweet" add-ins like a phone that is always buzzing from texts, or a computer nearby that pops up a notification saying, "Come! Check me! Life will be ten times sweeter if only you'd come and let me show you all of this!"

Simple sweet: 

Hanging laundry out on the clothesline without the nag of any media device. Spending my week enjoying a nothingness that will soon be gone.

I could be other places in my spare time; I could be at one of the many Christian camps that are offered everywhere you turn. 

But instead, I'm here.

I'm organizing pickle recipes and mastering the Sonatina.

I'm getting up early, forgoing the computer and picking spinach for my omelet.

I'm taking up my trug and filling it with lettuce for the evening salad.

There can be things that add a bit to the sweetness of life, but they can often be complicated. Or like some sugars, they'll be so sweet, they leave a bitter taste in your mouth afterwards. I believe in a simple sweet.

Don't add more sugar to your life. Life is already sweet enough. God's filled the very air with sweet scents. So breathe in and relax. Take the simple sweet and realize that most of the time, the "musts" in life, are often the least needed. 

Comments

Popular Posts