The Memorable Memorial Day

I'm exhausted. And it all started Sunday evening, while babysitting three kiddos for a family at church. Surprisingly, I was able to handle the incessant, "why" questions, prepare and feed dinner while keeping the three rascals occupied, dress everyone up for playing outside...twice, and clean up after a bathroom disaster. When all was said and done, sitting down at the end of the day and reading my Bible felt extremely rewarding.

I was thankful for the opportunity to be responsible in another area outside of school and chores and taking charge of a family, though tiring, also has a strange joy. I believe that a lot of that joy comes from the quiet time that can be had with the Lord once they're all asleep and then falling asleep yourself knowing that tomorrow's another day to experience grace, patience, and reliance on God's strength. However, this is just coming from someone who watched three young, well-behaved children for an evening--and I'm not anywhere near as experienced as a 24/7 mother, but it was a wonderful taste of what I someday want to do.

As I prepared for bed that night my older sister, Mattea, asked me if I'd want to join her a a few others fishing after our 5k race in the morning. I agreed to the fishing and thanked her, because I'd completely forgotten that we had the race the next day. Let's just say I went straight to bed because I knew I'd need the sleep.

Every year on Memorial Day my family and I run in a 5k race called the Bob Bridgman 5k. It's kind of a tradition and one that I really enjoy. Early this morning we could all be found dressed in runners garb and stretching out on the floor. This year was my fourth 5k that I've run, two Bob Bridgmans and two Thanksgiving Pie and Gloves. I've never, ever placed in any of the races and have never really expected to.

I definitely ran much better than I thought I would and with the weather being gorgeous, it was a very enjoyable run. We all cheered each other on across the finish line and soon every Wilber had finished. I bit into an orange slice and I tell you, there's nothing so satisfying as biting into a juicy orange after running so much. We gathered for our family photo and then as we were heading out to leave I quickly looked at the results. Surprise! I had placed third in my age group and I had no idea that I had.

I was happy to see the finish line!
Mattea was wonderful and let me stay a little longer to receive my medal and cookies even though it delayed our going to the lake to fish. From there we went to Hills Creek, a state park that is very scenic and placid most days. Our friend that we were meeting to fish with met us there and as we greeted each other he asked, "So, do you have some fishing poles?"

We had thought that HE would be bringing them. And he thought that WE would be bringing them. It was definitely some bad, yet comical, miscommunication. We were going to fish without fishing poles. Hmmm. Thankfully, our friend had a friend nearby who we could borrow fishing poles from and we were able to utilize them. It was a relaxing way to unwind after the run and even though I never caught anything it was still really enjoyable.

And though I was tired afterwards, especially because I went to work at my Grandmother's and wish my Grandfather a Happy Memorial Day after we got home, it was a wonderful and memorable Memorial Day and I hope yours was just as lovely.

My entire family after the race.

*Thanks to Andrew for taking the first photo and Alex for taking the second photo with Andrew's camera! (And for letting me steal them from Facebook) :)

Comments

  1. This makes me smile. Your family.picture brought tears to my eyes. :) God is beautiful indeed!

    Sorry for not talking to you but I'm promise once i done my thesis. I get to write you dear Maryah.

    Love,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God IS so beautiful! And I loved the pictures on your blog--it made me want to post some on my own.

      That's alright, I understand how busy school can be..I too am really busy with all the school I must do! I love you! <3

      Delete
  2. Looks like you've had a busy few days.
    I do have to agree though, after long exhausting days, getting into God's Word is the most restful, quiet and rewarding time.

    Looked liked a good clear day for the run! Congrats on getting third place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it definitely was perfect weather for a run!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts