When forgetfulness is good

I love to sing while I work. I love singing worship songs while I chop vegetables, whistling a hymn while I fold laundry, and of course, playing praise songs on the piano.

To me, worship goes beyond Sunday morning, it's the way I live my life. As Christians, we are called to worship everyday, in every season. Worship bubbles up when I feel abundantly blessed or helps me focus on Christ when trials swirl about me.

The important thing to remember though, is that worship is more than just you and God. Yes, worship is between you and God--but worship to God affects more than just your heart. Others will see your worship and be touched by it. Simple things like singing songs tend to have the greatest impact on those around us.

When I worship God, I forget about myself and simply see Christ. According to John Piper in Don't Waste Your Life,
The really wonderful moments of joy in this world are not the moments of self-satisfaction, but self-forgetfulness.
He uses the example of standing in front of the Grand Canyon and contemplating your own majesty. Who would ever do that? No one, hopefully. When we stand before the Grand Canyon we're lost in the design and the grandeur. I've never actually been there, but I've experienced other things just as gorgeous and grand.

Watching a vivid sunrise doesn't usually give rise to thoughts that are self-centered. Likewise, when we worship before God we don't sing, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face!" and at the same time think, "My, my, my, my hair is awesome today," or "Goodness, I really need to get a new outfit, this one is out of style." We just don't do that.

When we worship we forget ourselves and focus on God, that is what produces joy and gratitude. And when we do think about ourselves, it should be who we are because of Christ and how He saved us. Piper was right, the greatest moments of joy in this world are when we forget all of our flaws, stop being self-conscious and aware of how we look or act and turn our eyes to Jesus.

David worshiped before the Lord and forgot about himself. Likewise, we should worship before the Lord, all day, every day, and be filled with the joy of self-forgetfulness and focus on Him.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of the earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.

Comments

  1. I really loved this one. I love worship and I love forgetting myself.

    "As Christians, we are called to worship every day, in every season." And I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I was thinking about us at YC last year, I mean, it's happened more since then, but I truly forgot myself while worshiping there.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, same here! I'm really looking forward to it now. I just can't believe it's only three weeks away.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh!!!

    This was happening to me last night. when I came bow down before Him at night. I was singing but I was thinking to get to my bed soon, but I tried to defeat my flesh.

    A must to read for everyone :)

    Thank you for sharing my sister, esp about John Piper.
    and " Turn Your eyes upon Jesus is my favorite hymn" :)

    Talk to you soon.
    Blessing,
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing, isn't God great?! Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I've been praying for you my friend!

    Yes, it is one of my favorite hymns too.

    Love <3
    Maryah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts