An Appointment with the Cardiologist

My mind is foggy and tired--it seems to mirror the view from where I sit right now: white capped waves roll and curl to lull underneath our soaking dock. Across the lake is a mountainside that completes this valley--it looks dirty, as if it needs someone to wash it with soap and scrub it good.

A fog permeates the edges of the mountain and laces the dips and crevices of the earth. Everything wet.

One sip...two sips of black tea awake my mind to shake of it's blurry terrain. I set down Silverster, my mug, the tea bag slips inside and I fumble to pull out the string.

At first, I only see a lone duck, bobbing up and down on the waves. But then a companion appears and they bob up and down together. 

That's how it should be in life: everyone should have a wave bobbing companion. 

Another drink of tea will be another echo of what I did this morning: I drank the Water. And the Water gave life. 

Luke 11...Jesus teaches us how to pray, he tells us we're his lights and then he rebukes the pharisees. One verse in particular catches my eye:
"But give as alms those things that are within, and behold, everything is clean for you."
He's talking to the Pharisees and how they clean up the outside but neglect what's most important: the heart.

I wonder, "give as alms those things that are within?" 

I search other translations:
But now, for what is inside of you--be generous to the poor, and everything will be clean to you. (NIV)
Therefore, give to those in need from the core of who you are and you will be clean all over. (CEB)
But what ye have, give ye as alms and, lo, all things are clean to you. (Young Literal Translation)
But rather give alms of such things as you have; then indeed all things are clean to you. (NKJV)
However, my personal favorite...in a translation that I hardly ever read from:
Give yourself as a gift and then you will be clean. (New Life Version)
It's direct. It's to the core. And isn't that what Jesus did? He always addresses the heart. In a way, He's the biggest heart doctor out there. 

My personal favorite cardiologist.

The Pharisees, whether they liked it or not, had an appointment with the Cardiologist when they invited Jesus to dinner.

And if we dilly-dally around this truth and don't give what's inside of us...we'll find that we can relate too well with the Pharisees. 

While you're at it, this giving yourself as a gift, thank God for the gifts that He's given you.

Like soaring white wings that were birthed from the water.
Hard brick against soft light.
Letters in the mail.
An empty mug of tea...and a heart full of love.

"O you who love the Lord, hate evil!
He preserves the lives of His saints;
He delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light is sown for the righteous,
And joy for the upright in heart.
Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous,
And give thanks to His holy name!"
~Psalm 97:10-12

Comments

  1. Beautiful post oh Maryah.
    Thank you for remind me that all that I have now as a gift to Him.
    Give yourself as a gift and then you will be clean. I too. Love this one :)
    Maryah, thank you for keeping me in your prayers because I need it so. I will try again to updating things for you. I have free time to write for you with email. I am waiting for graduation on 22 October.

    Been thinking of you.

    Love,
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :) I would love to catch up with you and I'll be praying for your graduation. <3

      Delete
  2. I kind of freaked out when I read the title. X) But it's a wonderful post, and I needed it. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, oh, don't worry--anything of THAT kind would first be relayed to you in person, and even then probably not through blog. :)

      Glad you enjoyed it. <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts