Becoming Aware.

It's easy to become oblivious to God's active presence in our everyday lives. Sometimes, even in the most momentous moments we might misplace our perception of God's work in us. Yet, despite our failing to see Him, He is with you. Jacob said something like, "Surely, the Lord is in this place and I did not know it." That's what he said after sleeping on a rock. He had a vision of the Lord promising that He would be with Him always.

Someday, this darkness that keeps us from being 24/7 aware of God's powerful hand in our lives will vanquished. Conquered to wage war no more. We'll behold the blinding light of God's glory, but for now, we're in a very thick darkness that requires our faith-lenses.

We as Christians travel through this world, as normal people do, and we're not that much different from others except that we have a glorious hope lit up inside of us. The funny thing about light is that it's not really noticed unless there's darkness. Light shines best in the dark. I believe that's why we're here in this dark, dark, world. Because when we're walking with God, we'll shine our best in the darkest of places.

We walk through valley of the shadow of death without knowing it and still He is with us.

I had an experience like that. I flew into San Pedro Sula, Honduras, spent the day there, and flew back out, perfectly unharmed. It wasn't till almost a year later that I found out that San Pedro Sula is the most dangerous city in the entire world. 

I was in the most dangerous city in the world and I didn't even know it. Surely, the Lord was in that place with me and I didn't realize it.

God often tells us Who He will be in the future by reminding us Who He's been in the past. He never changes, so we can always be sure of His faithfulness, provision, and kindness towards us. As I look back at this "incident" of me walking around that city, that city that has 169.30 homicides per 100,000 residents, and God protecting me the entire time, I can look forward to God's protection of me each day. Specifically, I can anticipate His protection during my time in the D.R. this January.

However, it has become very clear to my parents and I recently that Satan must not want us to go on this missions trip. It seems like everything has been working towards us NOT going, and I know we are supposed to go, and we are going (T-minus 9 days), yet Satan's tried to discourage us every step of the way. Finances, health, relationships...it never seems to end. It's a battle, and one that can only be won by the power of Jesus' name. And I believe in that power, that strength--His love is a stronghold and I am going to be found there. Held in the steadfast arms of Christ.

However, we can't do it without prayer. Would you please pray for us as often as you think of it? We're leaving on the 7th, but that doesn't mean you have to wait until then! Start now, praying for provision, protection, health, and the power of the Holy Spirit to combat whatever we will encounter in the D.R. Also pray for the 1st missions team which is down there right now, we're going down on the 2nd medical team. I'll look forward to updating this blog with photos and stories after our time spent down there, but first, we need to be praying, and praying a lot. I'd so greatly appreciate it, and specifically if you would pray for my family staying here and my family in general, that this would be an opportunity for a lot of good change and direction as we experience this trip.

I don't really know what to expect, but I suppose that's best when it comes to things like this. I just pray that God will use me to be His cheerful giver...and to realize that what I'm doing down there is really no different from what I do up here. It doesn't matter where you are, serving God is serving God and you can do it anywhere. But for this season, God's got us going to the Dominican, and I'm anticipating His goodness for the entire trip. Perhaps it won't be jaw dropping amazing...perhaps there won't be a super incredible miracle, in fact, some of the most miraculous things will probably everyday occurrences of living out God's grace, just as we do here.

I'm not underestimating God's power to work mightily in our lives while we're there, or saying that I don't want abundant and jaw dropping miracles! I'm simply saying that God is good all the time, everywhere, everyday. Just as I will anticipate God's goodness to us in the Dominican, you can anticipate God's goodness in the very next moment you live, in this moment that you're living. He's there. You might not see it in the mundane, the everyday, but that's where He is. He's there when you lay your head on that stone and go to sleep. He's there when you wake up. He'll be there in the Dominican just like He was there in the most dangerous city of the world.

Sometimes we're not aware. That's just who we are as humans--we can't always see every bit of everything. And that's okay. Because we have an omniscient God and He is going to overcome.

Comments

  1. I really liked this post. I stopped midway to offer up a prayer for you, and I will certainly continue to pray for you all leading up to and during the trip. <3

    I particularly liked what you said about God telling us Who He'll be in the future by reminding us Who He has been in the past. So true and so good! That's incredible about San Pedro Sula; praise God for His continual protection and care of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayer. <3 And I know you will be praying for me, and I appreciate it.

      Yes, it really is true.

      I know? Isn't it crazy? Mom was like, "My little girl went to the most dangerous city in the world!" Haha, it was funny and definitely a time to give thanks to God for safety.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, darling.

      It is crazy! Haha, Moms. =) Yes, definitely.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts