Rising and Falling

It's Friday morning and Blackboard (a website where many online students from different universities access college courses) is experiencing some technical difficulties which means that I'm sitting in the sun, eating my delicious smoothie, and writing a blog post instead of a college assignment. Doesn't sound too bad to me!

I've been reading The Mark of The Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers (the first novels that I've read in ages!) and I may or may not have somehow managed to zip through the first book in one week and the second book in six days. It's rather hard for me to understand, because on top of that I'm extremely busy with school. But I don't need to understand how it worked, I just know that I like it this way!

These books are really well written and I loved the storyline that incorporates so much accurate history. The story begins about 40 years after Christ's crucifixion, meaning that you discover much of how Rome was quickly corrupting herself. It's amazing to understand the different things that led to Rome's fall, some claim it was economical, others moral, and still others spiritual. I believe it was a corruption of all realms of human life.

What shocked me the most though, was that I saw so much similarity between Rome and present day USA. I'm not about to go on a spiel about some conspiracy theory or proclaim that the world will end with the fall of the U.S., but I can't blindly be led to believe that the U.S. is propelling towards prosperity either. I don't want to get caught up in it though, because all civilizations rise and fall eventually, and who am I to think that this country is immune to historical patterns?

I'm thankful for this country, but she is corrupt just as many other nations are. What I want to emphasize though is that our lasting hope is not in this nation, or any other. Even if the U.S. government were to fall, we as Christians have no need for fear. Our identity is found in our true Homeland where we'll one day live. We are citizens of a different country, a different world. And this is extremely comforting, because honestly, security cannot come through any kind of government except for Christ's.

I don't know what these next few years will hold, and neither do I not care about what happens, I will do what I can and stand up for what I believe in, but if things turn sour, I won't despair, because Christ is my foundation.

I suppose those are just some of my Friday morning thoughts...nothing earth shattering, but definitely good to consider. Now, I should probably go and see if Blackboard is up and running. =)

Comments

Popular Posts