Spaghetti calzones and my love for laughter

I have this co-worker. Her name is Anje. She's the oldest of the employees, and I'm the youngest, and somehow those opposite poles of the spectrum brought us together.

We do share a few things in common though: we're both shift managers, and we love to laugh. Other than that, we're fairly opposites.

So last night, being the Fourth of July and having lots of customers, I expected to be fairly pumped at work. And I was. On the way there.

However, when I arrived I discovered to my dismay that I was completely exhausted. My legs hurt, my eyes were tired, and everyone else seemed rather kapoot as well.

It continued that way till 9:20ish. Finally, there were no more customers because of the fireworks, so most of the scoopers congregated in the back room. I walked in and Anje gave me one of her amazing hugs and asked,
"Maryah, do you want something to eat? Because I need to eat something but I'm not quite sure what to have." In her hand was a phone and on the counter was the Jerlando's menu.
She continued, "see, I want pasta, but I'm really thinking about having a calzone."
"Hmmm, order both," I suggested.
"But I won't be able to eat it all," she replied.
"Order a pasta calzone, and have them put pasta inside of it!" came my brilliant idea.
She laughed. I laughed. We tend to laugh a lot when we're tired.
"Okay. I'm doing it."
"Wait, you're going to call Jerlando's and ask for a pasta calzone?!" I asked, surprised that she actually took my advice.
"Yep."

With the look of a determined police officer on her face, she dialed the number for Jerlando's and awaited their answering.

"Hello, I would like to place an odd order, so don't ask any questions...Can I possibly have a calzone with pasta inside of it as the filling?"

She emerged triumphant. And we laughed. It wasn't just the spaghetti meatball filled calzone that we laughed about, it was the victory of being able to laugh, being able to be ludicrous and being able to know that life is hard but that's why you do fun and whacky things like ordering pasta calzones, or smushing whipped cream into Trenton's face, or filling my apron with cold water and watching it fall to the floor, leaving me soaked and doubled over in laughter.

It's scenarios like those that remind me to not take life too seriously. Goodness gracious, I work at an ice cream shop after all! But with this week coming up, (for a brief overview I'll just mention that it includes waking up early every morning to do intense dancing till 12, then going home to eat before leaving for the evening shift at work which will bring me back home late after lots of cleaning, and then repeat again and again for the next five days) I have had to remind myself more often than not that it's not my place to worry or fret.

Besides, Matthew 6 says, "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." This upcoming week, that's going to be my theme, as well as "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Overall, I trust it will be a really great week, I just need to be weak and trust in God, oh, and keep laughing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts