When I'm Discouraged

The power of encouragement is immense. The reverse power of discouragement can be lethal.

I'm more likely to feel motivated to be kind to my siblings if I'm in a good mood. And I'll be more likely to be in a good mood if I've just baked perfect chocolate chip cookies.

The chocolate chip cookies can be inspired by getting the motivation to weed down at my Grandma's where the kitchen always smells good. And the motivation to weed in my Grandma's garden can come from the motivation to earn money.

I want to earn money so that I can buy the camera of my dreams. I want to buy that camera because it will play a potentially important part in my career. And I want to pursue this "career" because I've felt encouraged by things people have said, things that God has revealed to me, and one of my passions being videography.

But if I'm discouraged, I won't go to college to get a head start on my education, I won't be motivated to buy a camera so I won't work. I won't bake the cookies because I wasn't inspired by my Grandma's kitchen. And I won't be nice to my siblings because I don't feel like I've accomplished anything except for filling my mind with discouraging thoughts and doing nothing.

Life keeps going, but it can keep going in circles. You just have to be sure that the circle is one filled with love, laughter, life, and God. If our beginning is the design of our Sovereign Creator, let us strive to have that be our ending: in the design of our Sovereign Creator.

I know that there will be discouraging side paths but I pray God will be quick to guide me back onto His path of wisdom, courage, humility, love, and passion for Him. I want to serve, and if I'm discouraged, I won't feel like serving. Even if I do serve, it won't be coming from a heart that is in the right place, and that's just as bad as not serving.

What's my motivation in serving? My motivation in the words that I am saying? My motivation in the way that I am treating my friends? My family? The way I treat myself?

For example: I've had a pretty great past 5 days or so.

Saturday we dressed up and celebrated Isaac's 17th birthday with fireworks and explosives and melted plastic super hero dudes.

Sunday was church, and practically drowning as I lunged for an unknown "polo" in a fun game of marco polo. Piano, food, ice cream (yes, ice cream has it's own category) and smiles make the world go round. Let's just say that the world was really going 'round on Sunday! :)

Monday was filling water balloons to bursting, driving stick shift for the first time and eating amazing blueberry, blackberry, raspberry pie after a run and walking around singing "I'll Fly Away".

Tuesday three extra pairs of hands pulled at stubborn grass and laughed as we roasted unripe crab apples and three extra pairs brown eyes sparkled as we built sandcastles.

Wednesday I had my very-official-last orthodontist appointment and then blueberry picking with sunshine on my back and resting on the sofa with music turned up to blasting.

But Today I went on a short, buggy hike, and unsuccessful shopping, and the blue sky turned grey and it reminded me that I have yet to find a grey bandanna for Youth Camp and it gets me frustrated with a lack of money because we can't purchase a much needed swimsuit and then I come home and it thunders and rains and I don't like the end result of a card for a friend and sleeping underneath the stars on Saturday seems so far away.

And run on sentences are a no-no but I do them anyway. And then I sigh, and then I wish, and then I become discouraged because my focus has completely trailed off.

Why? Why does this have to happen so often God? And then Steady My Heart by Kari Jobe plays on the radio and I pray, "Steady my heart" and then I take a deep breath and I trust that God will renew my courage.

So I play my almost perfected Sonatina. I take my index finger to my blackboard name holder and rub away the chalky white "was" in "Hope Was Here" and replace it with an "is". I braid grey embroidery floss and clip it into my hair and I get excited when Isaac says he'll make me a grey chain mail bracelet. It's all about team spirit. It's all about courage. And encouragement.
Empower someone today, empower yourself, encourage.


Comments

  1. Maryah, this is so good! I have enjoyed reading all of your posts, and I love your focus :) Keep it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts