Barn Dancing in the Summer Night

By the time we got home, I felt like I might as well just stay up till morning, being only 4 hours from my usual wake up time. But common sense out ruled slaphappiness and somehow I managed to find myself in bed, thinking on the most recently passed events as I drifted off to sleep.

Happy Summer everyone! I don't know how many people celebrate Summer Solstice, or how they might celebrate it, but for me it's always been the annual barn dance that is held a few minutes away from here.

The instruments were tuning up, I heard someone say that the dancing was starting and in a flash I grabbed Holly's hand and we were at the entrance of the barn, waiting for it to start. Eventually everyone was partnered up and a ring had been formed in the center of the barn. The music began, the laughter spilled over as people exercised their out of use swinging skills and in no time the barn dance fever had caught on. I smiled the entire time; how can you not smile and laugh when people are clapping their hands, tapping their bare feet and swinging you till you feel like your head was swung backwards?

Our neighbors throw this barn dance as a Summer Solstice celebration, birthday party and on occasion, graduation party. It's always top on my list of "favorite Summer things". Because I knew more people this time it was even more enjoyable. We brought quite a few friends along and I think it's safe to say, made many barn dance converts. The happiness is contagious and it doesn't matter how sweaty you are (or your partner is for that matter), it is the most enjoyable dance you'll ever do.

At 11 o'clock my feet were scuffed and my legs numb from the pain of having danced every single dance (except one) but even after the dancing ended, the party continued. The group of people that were left walked down the dirt road to watch the floating lanterns soar into the sky. It was amazing and I so enjoyed seeing them in person! They got so high that after a while, you weren't sure whether they were lanterns or stars. The stars seemed to have fallen down into the fields as well because  thousands of lightning bugs sparkled everywhere.

After the lanterns, fire crackers came out. We (Holly, Jared, Peter, and I) formed a group that mostly jumped around trying to avoid the out of control pyrotechnics and discussed the dangers of such things. It was midnight though, so what can you say?

The night got a bit chilly, but the moon was so bright, I could almost feel it radiating heat. The frogs croaked, I think in displeasure because they kept getting bottle crackers thrown their direction, and I stood there in the road, remarking to myself many times what a beautiful night it was.

I think it's going to be a good Summer.

Comments

  1. Happy Summer my sister! I want to tell you about something :)

    Blessing,
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts