The running Christian praying life.

As a lot of you know, I run. More than just to the phone and to the fridge to get some ice cream. I run as my "sport" I guess you could call it, and I really enjoy it.

However, there's one thing about running that I hate.
Getting started.

I can go through an entire day dreading the fact that I have to run and feeling like I'll never be able to do it. I'll be talking myself out of it as I put on my socks and sneakers. I'll say to myself, "It'd be fine to skip today," as I stretch.

I even find myself dragging my feet to the door, because I know that as soon as I'm outside I won't change my mind.

The thing that I love about running though is more than the exercise, more than getting out in the fresh air and doing something, I love the way it replicates and illustrates the Christian life. There are hills that make your breath short, long, flat stretches that make you zoom, and downhills that make you fly. Sometimes you have to walk and now and then you get a cramp. Same with being a Christian. There's days when my runs are amazing, and other days when I'm just glad that I got moving.

And then there's days when I don't run at all. Not because it's my rest day, but simply because I can't.

I don't know about you, but for me, running really mirrors my praying life. The hardest part is getting started. Because honestly, praying isn't something that I always face with joy, sometimes it feels like an obligation....but once you start praying, do you really want to stop?  I know I don't. When you don't get yourself started on your run, you won't run and therefore, (you guessed it) you'll remain sedentary and indoors. Without exercise. You'll never run the marathon if you don't get started on that 5k run.

Likewise, your praying life won't magically "get better" if you don't start now. If you push aside your praying time, bible time, worship time, guess what? You won't pray, read, or worship. And though it might not be "a big deal" I'm here to tell you that it IS a big deal. God is a gracious God and I'm pretty sure He understands that you can't be doing in depth bible studies when you're knocked out with the flu. But what I'm saying is that we miss out when we don't. We lose the benefits.

If you want to start a running lifestyle and don't run, you won't get it.

If you want a praying life and don't pray, hey, you won't get it. 

Just remember that Satan does everything that he can to keep you from Church, prayer, bible reading, and worship. He loves it when you don't "get started". That's why it's a struggle. But once we've started, we're in the presence of the Lord and there's no holding us back. Don't not do something simply because you're finding it hard to start.
We've all got to start somewhere if we want to get anywhere.

Comments

  1. amen sister! so true!

    It's hard to start but yes once we do there's no holding us back :)

    Have a good day!

    Love,

    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts