1 Year and English Idiosyncrasies

I just realized that I've had this blog for a year now. One year, one month, and two days to be exact. I apparently missed the actual blog-birth-date, which was July 5th, but belated celebrations always tend to have a greater impact than the actual one. It stands out because it's special and unexpected.

I like to look back and see how much I've changed. I do that a lot actually. Mostly because a lot has changed. This morning I was in the car with my Mom...I mentioned that, "we can't make any long term plans because we have no idea where we'll be in five years." Mom gave me an excited look and said something, but it was one of those sayings that can't be written down and can't be explained to non-native speakers because English has so many idiosyncrasies that make it a very hard language to understand.

Though this is beside the point, just take a moment to think about all the times that we communicate throughout the day without ever saying anything intelligible. When you're asked a question and you answer, "Eyenono" (this is assuming you aren't one of those people who makes sure they have the exact annunciation), and it is completely understood as: I don't know. Then the times when we mumble all those little nuances that are so very incomprehensible to the foreigner but common language to the native. I sometimes wonder if other languages have the same sort of "idiosyncrasies" as I call them.

Anyhow, that was my rabbit trail for the day. Back to the main subject.

I asked Mom what she meant, (because apparently this idiosyncrasy was hard to define) and she said, "We don't know--things are changing!" in a tone that conveyed disbelief and excitement.
It is exciting.
Things are changing.
I am too.
I look back to who I was a year ago and laugh; was I really that immature and impulsive? I've been taught wisdom through sorrows and I've learned to cherish laughter that is so rare. I look back at myself and think that I'm looking at a different person. I've got a long ways to go...the refining process is never done, not until we reach Heaven and see His face.

I was conversing with my Grandmother the other week and she mentioned that she was trying to view a painful situation she's in (as in, physically painful) as a time to become more like Jesus. She, she who is 84 years old, still does not consider herself above the trials and testing that we go through. It happens throughout your entire life, it changes forms but it's always there.
As a 6 year old you must share your toys when you don't want to, as a 46 year old you deal with hurt relationships, as a 103 year old you've still go those problems to deal with, you're still becoming more like Jesus. Change never stops. We're always in the process and no matter how old you are, God has more work to do inside of you. As I listened to my Grandma it really encouraged me, because I might think that "after this I'll have it figured out" or "after this I won't have any problems or testing" but it never stops. God won't give up on the opportunity to change you into who He is--never. He looks at every moment as a moment to transform you into His Son whom He loves with a love unfathomable.

He's doing it because He loves you.

With that said, I've changed, this blog has changed, and my heart has changed in this past year since I started this blog. God will never change but I'll always be changing, always maturing and conforming to His likeness. So here's to a year that was full of growth, love, and pain, and here's to whatever lies ahead. Onward and upward for Christ and His Kingdom.

Comments

Popular Posts