Trusting The Ocean

I have recently been rediscovering love. What it means to love and what it means to be loved. 

I was swimming in the ocean the other day; I was far out in the sea, so far out that I could easily imagine that I was in the very middle of an endless span of water and that land was no where near. I just swam and swam in the never-ending water. I can never fully comprehend just how much water there is. The vast amount of ocean on this earth is mind-boggling. 

God's love is an ocean to me. I'm just beginning to wade on the shore, but He's showing me the horizon, how it continues without end and how if I were to dive into it I would be utterly lost. Lost in love. Swimming in an ocean of love that never ceases <--that's life. 

Five days ago, I would have been very apprehensive to drift along turbulent, crashing waves on a piece of plastic (a.k.a. a surf board), unsure of the depth of the water. But this morning proved otherwise, because I've learned to trust the board and know how to slip easily off and on it and I know that I can swim for long amounts of time and I know that I don't need to fear the ocean. Even falling unexpectedly off of the board before I attempt a dive isn't disconcerting. I've learned to swim and trust in the ocean of varying moods.

Now, if I can learn to love and trust the moody ocean of this world, with all it's dangers and twists, how much more so can I learn to trust the ocean of God's love? His ocean doesn't have dangerous sharks, unidentified animals swimming around or squishy, sinking sand. His ocean won't capsize you without a life preserver, His ocean won't wash you up on to the shore of some deserted island without hope. His ocean can be trusted if you learn to let go of apprehensions.

Because here's the thing: you can't escape it. You can't say that you won't be going in for a swim because whether you like it or not, you will be. You can grip to the board with all your might and fear every toss of the waves, you can shriek at every bubble that could be a shark, and you could scream when you find you can't touch the floor.

Or, you could embrace the board that's been provided for you, learn to ride the waves, admire the beauty of life, and trust every time you discover that you aren't the sustainer of your own life. You can't control anything. The tide will go in and out whether or not you say it should. The sun will rise no matter how many times you command it to stay down.

Likewise, the storms and waves of this life aren't things that you can control. Events that occur, people you meet, and places you go are all held in the Father's hand. They're in His ocean and He's inviting you to swim in the ocean with trust, not distrust. A few waves bigger than you can handle are going to come along, but that's just it: we can't handle anything, and therefore we should give thanks because that His ocean is a current of love.

Oh the deep, deep, love of Jesus, 
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free
Rolling as a mighty ocean, 
In it's fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, 
Is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward
To my glorious rest above!


Comments

  1. Oh my sister Maryah,

    What a great post to be remembered that How He loves us. Thank you that you bring this to the ocean, I want to swim deep and deep into His ocean of Love.
    And what a great picture! I was wondering is that a song? what a beautiful song :)

    Hope you are well sister,
    Blessing,
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment my friend! Yes, it is a song, it's called "Oh The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" and it is an old hymn that I love!

      I am doing well, I pray you are too,
      Maryah

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts