Our Rock

"There is none holy like the Lord; there is none besides You; there is no rock like our God."
~1st Samuel 2:2

That verse reminds me that not only is there no god like our God, but there is no rock like our God. A rock is a foundation, it is what we can stand on firmly and trust. In this world there are many rocks: job position, relationships, health, money, social standing (aka how popular you are), even your spirituality can be a rock that you stand on. All these are good (as bushes and trees surrounding the rock) but when they become your ultimate place of standing--the rock that you trust in--you'll find yourself falling and the rock slipping away into sand.

It's easy for me to place my hope and trust, my very life, on certain aspects of my daily living that I consider my "rock". When health is taken away, where is your assurance? When you lose friends or family, who do you have to turn to? When something bad happens in your job, school, or if your faith is shaken, where do you find peace? 

You find out who you really are and who you really trust when all is stripped away and you simply find yourself standing, (or collapsed) upon the one thing that remains: Jesus Christ, our Rock. 

"On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand." 

This hymn and the verse in 1st Samuel, should remind us that everything else in this life besides Christ is sinking sand. It can be taken away as quickly as sand sifts through our hands. 

Because Christ is our life and we don't belong to this world, all else can be held with open hands and all else should be regarded just as it is: sand. Or in Paul's words: rubbish. We should never cherish this life and the things of this life as the rock we stand on. 

All else besides Christ is loss--we live for Christ and His purpose only. He is our Rock, don't ever forget that.


Comments

  1. Amen Maryah!

    I have to remember this. The rock where I stand and buld my faith and hope.

    Anyway, thank you for the beautiful comment.
    Hope you have wonderful Sunday.

    Blessing,
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Devalina! I'm glad that it spoke to you. It is a good reminder and I hope that God can always remind me that He alone is my Rock.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts